You’ll receive important pre-course information as a download link when you book on to the course, but just in case, all you need to know is here:
We will meet at the café of the Llangorse Multi-activity centre at 9.00 AM on the first day and after a brief session in the café we’ll walk out from the centre for the first day’s training. The postcode is LD3 7UH. We will discuss a plan for day 2 during the course and will make arrangements for where to meet before the end of the first day.
The planned routes for the course are subject to change as weather conditions dictate, so the meeting point may change if it becomes unsuitable to use our planned routes. We will give as much notice as possible of any change, but it will not be more than 20-30 minutes drive from the planned start point in any event.
- Fully waterproof jacket and overtrousers with taped seams, regardless of time of year.
- Comfortable strong footwear. We recommend walking boots with ankle protection. Waterproof boots are preferable, as the ground underfoot will be uneven and may be boggy and damp.
- Warm hat and gloves
- Spare warm layer, e.g fleece top
We recommend that the clothing you wear whilst walking is synthetic or wool, not cotton. This is because cotton absorbs both rain and sweat and quickly saps heat from the body, whilst other materials are better at drawing moisture away from the body.
- Small daysack, preferably with waterproof liner and/or rain cover.
- Lunch, snacks and a minimum of 2 litres of water
- Any personal medication you require
- Consider sunglasses, sun hat, suncream based on the weather forecast
- Compass – we recommend the Silva Expedition 4 compass (not the military version), but other map compasses are suitable also
We will provide any maps required for the course but if you would prefer to use your own you are welcome to do so. We’ll be using the Ordnance Survey OL13 and Landranger 161 maps and may also use OL12, Landranger 160 and the Harveys Mountain Map for the Brecon Beacons area. If you are missing any other items of equipment, please contact us as we may be able to lend these to you.