You’ll receive a download link to the pre-course information when you book on to our Introduction to Navigation course, but just in case, all of the details are here:
We will meet at the Forest Holidays café, Bracelands Drive, Christchurch, GL16 7NN at 9.00AM on the first day. We will discuss a plan for day 2 during the course and will make arrangements for where to meet before the end of the first day based on the needs of the group and weather conditions but will likely be around Monmouth.
- Fully waterproof jacket and overtrousers with taped seams, regardless of time of year.
- Comfortable strong footwear. We recommend walking boots with ankle protection. Waterproof boots are preferable, as the ground underfoot will be uneven and may be boggy and damp.
- Warm hat and gloves
- Spare warm layer, e.g fleece top
We recommend that the clothing you wear whilst walking is synthetic or wool, not cotton. This is because cotton absorbs both rain and sweat and quickly saps heat from the body, whilst other materials are better at drawing moisture away from the body.
- Small daysack, preferably with waterproof liner and/or rain cover.
- Lunch, snacks and a minimum of 2 litres of water
- Any personal medication you require
- Consider sunglasses, sun hat, suncream based on the weather forecast
- Compass – we recommend the Silva Expedition 4 compass (not the military version), but other map compasses are suitable also
We will provide any maps required for the course but if you would prefer to use your own you are welcome to do so. We’ll be working off the Ordnance Survey OL14 and Ordnance Survey Landranger 162 maps. If you are missing any other items of equipment, please contact us as we may be able to lend these to you.
Medical / health issues
The Introduction to Navigation course can be a physically demanding course. The two days will involve walking over uneven and challenging terrain, possibly during poor weather conditions and for extended periods of time. If you have any pre-existing injuries, illnesses or medical conditions that may impact on your ability to participate fully, please inform us beforehand using the emergency contact and health information form provided so that we can adjust the course to meet your needs.